When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Customers don't know what type of sanitation system will work in their context—Ventilated Improved Pit latrine, Urine Diversion or Pour flush.
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
Giving customers/users a choice and making it their decision
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Piloting different systems
- Educating users
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
Too many options. We had a design for practically every different situations/sector/environment
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Consumer surveys
- Political/municipal buy-in and negotiations
- Feasibility study
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
Making users and politicians understand the different technologies and what can or cannot work
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
That there isn't a one-size fits all solution
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Educating politicians & consumers
- Focusing on improved user experiences
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Take time to understand:
- the political background where you’ll be working
- the community’s needs, beliefs, and culture
- Educate stakeholders on your processes