When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Figuring out how to gather operational data from vacuum tankers to help governments plan and assess interventions.
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
A mobile phone application that helps vacuum tankers to professionalise their business and attract more customers
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
For iteration we used Marvel to create simple digital prototypes that can be tested and validated with the target users/stakeholders
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
Finding vacuum tankers that trusted us enough that they were willing to talk about their business
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Desk research
- User journey
- Strategyzer tools
- Value Proposition Design
- Business Model Canvas
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
- Deciding on the most important features based on the most relevant insights
- Communicating the idea of a minimum viable product within the organization
- Making small iterations
- Taking risks
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
- To get buy-in and alignment you need
- To keep the project team in the loop
- To involve internal stakeholders throughout the project
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Involving project partners and internal stakeholders throughout the process
- Starting to have face-to-face meetings
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Do not assume that your project partners will be at your same level of understanding
- Use Skype calls and wherever possible face-to-face meetings to keep project communication going