When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
- MHM (Menstrual Hygiene Management) neglected, disposal neglected
- MHM disposal in RTI toilet prototype
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
Discrete stand alone chute in toilet cabin
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Baseline practices:
- Feedback from end users, interview on concept design with demos
- User feedback after leaving stall
- Disaggregated groups: age, sex, religion
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
Community/city context for solid waste management (SWM)
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Baseline survey/observation
- User feedback (app, paper)
- Prototypes, visuals
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
Tension between "discovery" and "project delivery" i.e. when to stop researching to meet project deadlines
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
Safe, private MHM disposal could be a driver for shared space toilet use
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
Location, population, demographics are complex even within city (modular solutions to settings)
What advice would you give other organizations?
End users are very unique so disaggregated data collection is key (age, sex, religion, invention)