When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Provide a latrine solution designed by and for the target population that is low-cost and that fits all requirements/desires of the consumers
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
A whole sanitation system and value chain to produce, market, finance, and deliver the solution to consumers willing to purchase
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Empathy research—users were very happy we asked their opinion
- Working with every end-user that we were designing for
- Finding the root cause
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
- Too many issues and not enough time to dive into details
- Not enough time to train prototype team
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Empathy research with 5 Whys
- Direct observations
- Market landscape study
- Business model canvas
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
- Not enough time to fully train team (staff, stakeholders, entrepreneurs etc), to use UCD in field
- Picking the right "how to" questions to ask
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Start small and have scale up plan
- Reduce product solution options
What advice would you give other organizations?
- More time—pushbacks on management
- More hands on training and real life practice before asking the team to go to the field
- Get entrepreneurs to own prototype process
- Be aware of the kinds of questions being asked