When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Overcoming the capital cost of converting manual emptying of sludge by informal sanitation workers to mechanical emptying
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
Low-cost locally available equipment: pumps, vehicles for mechanical sludge collection and transfer
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Innovations in design and manufacturing
- Field testing initial response
- Informal sludge/sanitation worker (from users)
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
Yet to validate, standardize for commercial marketing
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Consultations, participatory design workshops
- Observation/spot checking
- Format research data collection
- Data synthesis
- User feedback/satisfaction
- Quality control
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
- Changing the mindset of informal workers
- Diverse geographical context and lack of containment standards
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
- Product diversity for emptying is needed
- Organizational development of business co-operatives of informal workers
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- More pilots in other towns to get different context
- Standardization of products
- Policy support
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Sludge calculator for transparent tariffs
- Tracking of safe disposal/transfer
- Multi-stakeholders co-ordination