When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Making sanitation a priority for district political leadership
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
- Introduction of prize schemes and recognition awards for district assemblies
- Matching of districts and private sectors to co-create solutions
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- District self-selection
- Media buzz activities to engage public support
- Outreach face-to-face engagement with district actors
- First stage awards- establishing authenticity of scheme
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
- Remote districts ability to use application platform due to issues of internet connectivity
- Incentivising private sector to partner with district
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Focus groups/workshops
- Media buzz
- Whatsapp platforms
- User journey
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
Explaining to districts that the project would not provide upfront funding and that only winning contestants will be rewarded
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
The magic of the first stage/award event, most districts which did not respond wished they had taken advantage of the opportunity
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Introduction of a prize for the private sector
- Requested districts in remote areas to submit both hard and soft copies of strategies
- Introduced a Whatsapp platform to complement sharing of information via mail
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Develop a clear and consistent message
- Provide multiple channels for engagement
- Be confident about what you are introducing